Wednesday, March 14, 2007

March into spring

Sorry I haven't submitted a blog lately. I've been reminded by several people, including the infamous Jeannie, that I've been remiss. Nothing's wrong, just getting a bit lazy I guess.

Treatment update
I had my 6th chemo treatment on Wednesday, 3/7. My good friend, Nancy, drove me to the appointment and we had a great chat -- in between my frequent naps.

Unlike the previous treatment, I had limited muscle and joint pain, which was good. I did, however, get neuropathy (numbness) in my feet and fingers. It's a weird sensation because of the prolonged time. Unlike when you fall asleep on my hand and it goes numb, with neuropathy you can't shake off the tingling by simply flapping your fingers around. The numbness and tingling remains for several days. The feet are the worse as it's difficult to walk around, but since I'm not going anywhere anyway, I just continue my deep relationship with my couch.

TV on the fritz
As they say, timing is everything. 2 days before my chemo, my semi-new 42" plasma TV decided it wanted to turn itself off all of the time. Not conducive to watching anything for more than 2 minutes. Ugh!!! So I called tech support who walked me through some steps that helped temporarily. Called again and received more instructions (unplug the TV from the power strip and plug it directly ino the wall, change the source on the remote) which didn't help. So, they said they'd send over a part to the technician who would call and repair the TV on Friday. FRIDAY!! That's 2 post chemo days without a TV.

Now, I'm trying to manage my treatments with limited sympathy, but every once in a while it's helpful to throw out the Cancer Card. While the support guy was sympathetic to my plight ("I'm having chemo in 2 days and all I do is watch TV for a week!! Can't you help me?"), he couldn't speed up the process.

So, then I get a call on Thursday from the technician who said that the part has been back ordered and they don't know when it will be available. If they can't get the part within 10 working days of my request, they're going to send over a new TV. Until then, I'm watching my little 20" TV that I moved from my kitchen. Not the end of the world, but inconvenient to say the least.

Embrace your baldness, part II
So there are definitely pros and cons to being bald. The obvious downside is that you look like a dork -- despite what Ms. Brittany Spears may have thought. Mother Nature intended women to have hair on their head. Even Cleopatra had a perm. Guys look okay bald -- Yul Brynner, Bruce Willis, Michael Jordan all look great. Name me one woman who looks good bald. Even Sinead O'Connor looks better with hair. By the way, whatever happened to her?? Probably opened a wig shop in Dublin.

But the upside is that you save tons of time and money. Getting ready in the morning is a breeze. I can shower and be done in 5 minutes. No shampoo or expensive conditioner that I get from Japan. No blow drying in an attempt to create a coiffure. Just towel dry and I'm done. Also, no shaving is necessary -- another time savings.

I'm losing my eyebrows and eyelashes now though and that creates other issues (besides looking dorky). When I exercise, there's no hair to stop the sweat from flowing directly into my eyes. You kind of take it for granted when you've got eyebrows. Beside framing your face, eyebrows protect your eyes. So I just have to keep a towel handy when I'm at the gym and wipe down my head.

6 down, 2 to go
Only 2 chemo treatments left and I'll be done in mid-April. HURRAY!!! The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Jean - i am so amazed by your positive attitude (although not too surprised really!) ... so glad you are getting closer to the final treatment. I admire you so much. HOpefully you be well enough soon... i'd love to go see Diane's babies with you if you're up to it (and she invites us over... hmm, maybe we can just invite ourselves?!). thinking about you! Sarah

Jeannie Beanie said...

Infamous?? Hmph!! I resemble that remark.

Glad to know things are proceeding on schedule...I *was* a bit worried because you'd been so prompt with your updates! But I certainly don't blame you for missing a week or three...after all you have just a bit of other stuff going on right now. ;) Those numb fingers must make it hard to type!

Hang in there...you're almost through!! Yay!!!

Ann said...

It's always a pleasure to read your blog, Jean. I know I'll be seeing you next week, but in case I forget I wanted to tell you that I'm supposed to give you big hugs from Melissa (PN) and Mari. They're both thinking good thoughts about you. Also, I was sitting in your office this week with Elizabeth and David and they asked about you as well. Elizabeth camps out in your office when she is in town. As a matter of fact, there is a gift and a card in your office so I'll try to remember to bring it to you. And I must confess that I swiped the latest issue of PC Magazine from your intray today. Hope you don't mind! :-)